Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The S/L Curriculum Gets a Makeover!

As expected, I have already changed my curriculum!

Grab it here

The first page is the curriculum map itself and the second page is a list of possible activities to do within each book unit.  I put the activities in the order in which I would do them.

I decided I didn't want to teach narrative and expository separately.  I realized it would be much more beneficial to teach them together within a single thematic unit.  So I basically rearranged the curriculum to reflect book units that encompass a wide variety of things all based off of a fictional story.  Each book unit has both the narrative AND expository piece.  For example, if I read the book Jumanji as my fictional story, I might read non-fiction books about snakes or monkeys or jungles to keep with the theme.

I already completed my Narrative Baselines which told me where all of my students were with regard to their narrative development.  This will be explained in a future post.  Here are some pictures of my data wall to give you an idea of the results I obtained:


Each student has a number

I also did my SGM introduction and practice. We practiced our icon identification (character, setting, kick off etc.) with the books Amelia Bedelia and The Giving Tree.  The kids now know the symbols on the yarn tools and are ready for the book units! I wanted to make sure they had sufficient practice with the symbols so it didn't interfere with the story having to teach it all at that particular moment.  Future post on this topic as well.


Hope everyone had a great first day back! :)


2 comments:

  1. HiAllie,
    Can you tell me what your curriculum is for K -2nd graders? Also, what activities do your students do with their Notebooks?
    Thanks, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually work in a grades 3-5 elementary school so only work with those three grades! If I did work with K-2 I would imagine I would do a similar setup only with the Braidy manual instead of Story Grammar Marker. That one is geared more towards those younger grades. Wish I could help more but I don't have experience using my curriculum in grades k-2!

      When you say Notebooks, do you mean their paper notebooks or the little netbook computers that I had in my pictures?? They each have a paper notebook used for writing activities, vocabulary journals, and other random stuff. Those notebooks and group folders are stored in those crates on my tall black bookcase.

      I also have 3 netbook computers for my classroom that I use for lots of different things. We complete SGM graphic organizers on the laptops, writing activities, and we also have a class Edmodo account. If you are not familiar with this, it is basically like Facebook for schools-used for educational purposes only. I post quizzes, assignments, and various prompts on there and the kids get to go on and complete those things. They really love it! I do some of my pre/post tests on there and it automatically records it to the Gradebook. I also post questions like "what was your favorite thing we did in speech this week" or "tell me three things you learned in speech this week." This way I can reflect on my teaching and what the kids learned.

      Delete