Friday, September 28, 2012

Speech and Language Curriculum

As I mentioned in my first post, the speech and language curriculum I have created for myself is based on the three levels of Discourse; conversation, narration, and exposition.  If you haven't already read the post on MindWing Concept's blog that talks about these three levels and why they are an ideal way to provide intervention for children with language disorders, check it out here.

I purchased the Story Grammar Marker program from MindWing last year so I could work on narrative skills with my kids, but soon realized that narration is only ONE level of discourse and while extremely important, I needed to target the other two levels as well.  I immediately began pleading my case to the Director of Pupil Services in my district on how my program would really benefit from the two additional programs from MindWing,  ThemeMaker (exposition) and Six-Second Stories (conversation).  Without hesitation, she went ahead and ordered them for me!  They arrived at my school a week later, which was the week before school ended.  YAY SUMMER READING MATERIAL!  I actually was THAT excited!  I read the books over and over this summer and put together a tentative curriculum for myself.  I emphasize tentative because we all have reflected on lessons and realized there were things we would have done differently.  I do that everyday!  So, while I do have a week-by-week plan set in place, I know that it will go through many revisions.  This year is my trial run and will hopefully work out the kinks so it can run smoothly in the future!

Click Here for the Speech and Language Curriculum (Please let me know if this link doesn't work!)

Take a look at the curriculum and stay tuned for more posts explaining those units/topics!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie, found your blog via Speaking of Speech - looks great so far! I'd love to have a look at your curriculum, but unfortunately my workplace blocks GoogleDocs. Any ideas for alternative sharing methods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can email it to you! What's your email address?

      Delete
    2. Sounds good - send it to my personal email: starbaaa@gmail.com - thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I look forward to learning more about how your curriculum is going. I just purchased the SGM marker book and am trying to figure out the best ways to implement it with my kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How has everything been going with your SGM program?!

      Delete
  4. As someone who is starting out which book or program of the ones you mentioned would be the most beneficial for me to purchase? Do you use any of Northern Speech Products? EET tool etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely start out with the Story Grammar Marker program/manual. This program serves as the basis for all of the other manuals. If you can, I would get the Progress Monitoring and Data Collection manual as well. It includes all of the data collection forms you could possibly need/want for the SGM program! So much more convenient than trying to create the forms from scratch yourself!

      I do not use any of the Northern Speech Products. The SGM program is pretty comprehensive so you can work on a ton of different skills/goals while implementing it. I had thought about the EET awhile back but thought it might confuse the kids with the SGM tools.

      Delete