Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Communication Contract- EXPLAINED!

As shown on my curriculum map, one of the first things I do with my kids at the beginning of a new school year is complete a Communication Contract.  I did not create this document myself, however cannot think of where I got this for the life of me!  I believe it was somewhere on the Speaking of Speech website.  Prior to this session, I write in their goals (using student-friendly language) in the appropriate areas.

I begin the session by asking the kids if they know why they are in speech class.  More times than not, they have absolutely no clue.  The kids need to know why they are there if you want to see progress and motivation to do well!  I give a brief and student friendly explanation of speech AND language, since many of them only think of it as 'speech' class (along with most teachers).  I take them back to the time they were evaluated and explain how some of the weaknesses that were found on that test are what need to be worked on in speech class in order for them to be successful in the classroom and at home.  

Once this is established, we start talking about the actual contract.  I ask the students if they know what a 'contract' is or if they have ever heard that word before.  We discuss situations where a contract is needed and the reasoning for completing one.  We then continue filling out the contract together while clarifying any difficult vocabulary we come across (e.g. 'negotiate').   The kids take turns sharing some of their goals and then as a group we brainstorm ways to reach those goals.  We just think of general things such as pay attention, work hard, participate, etc. 

The kids really seem to enjoy filling out this contract as they feel some responsibility toward reaching their speech and language goals.  It is also a great way to refresh yourself on all your kids' goals!  It is important to revisit the contract a few times through out the year so they always remember what they are working on.

Click Here for Communication Contract

Hope some of you can use this! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment