Sunday, March 3, 2013

Treating Private Clients

A few months ago I started seriously thinking about treating private clients for some extra income.  I heard many stories about people either starting a private practice or seeing patients privately out of their homes while continuing to work their full-time jobs.  I think that would be amazing! I do absolutely love my current full-time position in an elementary school, but would love a little extra cash during the week or during the summer.

This idea to begin treating private patients came and went as searching the internet for how to go about doing it got a little frustrating and confusing.  I would get myself really excited to do it, but the thought of doing it wrong or making mistakes in the business end of it was just too stressful!    

One night while on the internet, I somehow stumbled across a website called The Independent Clinician.  The creator, Jena Casbon, was basically in the same position I was as she couldn't find a good "how-to" guide to treating private clients.  She wanted to make sure everything she was doing was ethical and wanted to be sure everything was being run correctly on the business end of things.  Those were definitely the same concerns I had.

I spent a few hours looking around her website and reading her articles, success stories,  testimonials, etc. I decided to go ahead and purchase her ebook The Independent Clinician: Guide to Private Patients.  I honestly wasn't even the least bit hesitant (despite the $49.95 price tag) because the reviews were so great and I knew this book would be an all-inclusive guide and I wouldn't need to continue searching the internet for bits and pieces of information that I had to put together and make sense of myself!  My sanity was more important :)

The ebook is an instant download so my impatient self was so happy to begin reading immediately after purchase!!!  However, if you prefer to have a physical paperback book, she does have a Coil Bound Version as well.  This book seriously include EVERYTHING you need to know.  This includes information about all that scary business stuff like liability, taxes, documentation, marketing, etc.  It also includes templates for keeping track of finances and data.  I like how she gives lots of tips through out the book based on her own experience. 

I just wanted to pass on the good word and hopefully save some people from spending a whole lot of time and frustration searching the internet for this same information!  In my opinion, it's definitely worth the money to have all of the information you need to start a successful private practice or see private patients on the side, all in one place.  Jena has been through it and has been very successful, which gives me the confidence to do the same! 

Let me know if you have any questions or comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment