Saturday, August 24, 2013

Back to School Night Activity

Welp, as I say at the end of every summer, "it went by WAY too quickly!"  Our Back to School Night is already next week Thursday and I don't feel ready at all!  I don't know about you, but students and parents are so busy in their homerooms on B2SN that there isn't a whole lot of traffic over by the speech room!  Plus my room is in the back of the school tucked away in a little corner so last year I set up shop in a high traffic area with the music and art teachers just to greet everyone and point them in the right direction.  This worked pretty well.  

As I was browsing through the Speaking of Speech Help Line, I came across a post by Dawn Moore over at Expressions Speech offering up a fun little activity for parents and students on a night like B2SN.  I took a look and IT IS PERFECT!  The activity is an IPA transcription task which I think everyone will have a lot of fun with.  She even has a page defining what IPA is as well as an answer page!  Definitely handing these out next Thursday :)


You can access the documents HERE.  Once you get to that page, scroll all the way down to Family Night Activities and you will see 4 links to the activity pages.  I will probably try and get the intro and list of words on the same page and then get the answers on the back of that page to save on some paper.  

Thanks for the great idea Dawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment