Monday, August 12, 2013

Whiteboard Word Wall

For the first half of my first year in my classroom, I had a pretty standard word wall.  I had the letters taped on the wall (well actually a door in my case) and then I typed up the vocabulary words, printed them, laminated them, and taped them onto the door next to the corresponding letter.  Well I realized pretty quickly that it was a big hassle to sit and type up the words, print, and laminate them.  There had to be an more convenient way to do it!

I then changed it halfway through the year and it looked like this:


While I think it LOOKED nice, it just wasn't functional.  I had a piece of paper stapled in each file folder where there was room to write in the word.  It was definitely easier since I didn't have to type, print, and laminate the words anymore, but they weren't visible to the kids so they didn't utilize it!  Fail.

So last year I decided I wanted something that was super easy to update, visible, and appealing.  Enter the whiteboard word wall!


This worked out great!!  I had a little bucket of dry erase markers next to the board and when a new vocabulary word was introduced, either the kids or myself went and added the word.  

Now if you don't have an actual whiteboard, not a problem!  I went and got a big piece of white panel board from Home Depot and it works just like a whiteboard!!  Got the idea from the blog Ladybug's Teacher Files.  Our janitor was nice enough to mount it to the wall for me :).  The round alphabet signs are from that same blog- you can find them here.  I just printed them on lime green paper so the letter and boarder will show up in that color.

Do you all have a word wall?  If so, how do you set it up??

1 comment: