Friday, August 9, 2013

Ways to Help Students Memorize SGM Symbols

If you are using the Story Grammar Marker program, it is really important to provide the students with ample opportunities to memorize the different symbols.  When I first got the program, I jumped right into teaching what each symbol meant and giving lots of examples.  While the kids eventually did catch on, I learned that I should have started with just naming each symbol and making sure the students had those names memorized.  Once they knew the names of each symbol, I could move onto a more in-depth description of what that symbol meant and how it related to a story.

Here are some activities I had the students participate in to help with memorization of symbol names:

1) Mindwing's Card Deck:  It took me awhile to purchase this card deck because I didn't think it was completely necessary but now I LOVE it!  It's a great way to get the kids a ton of practice with SGM symbol identification and they have a lot of fun with it too!  We primarily played 2 games with these cards but I'm sure there are many more you could play.
  • Go Fish:  We play just like the regular Go Fish game is played.  Each student was given 7 cards and then we went around the circle asking questions.  "Do you have the Setting?" "No, Go Fish." Pretty straightforward.
  • War:  If there are only two kids in the group then I have them play this game.  Also if there is just one student then I play the game with them.  Same as the normal War rules but with a SGM twist.  The deck is divided into 2 and given to each player.  The players lay down their top card at the same time, say what symbol they have, and determine which one is higher (by the numbers on the card).  Player with the higher number keeps the cards.  So basically the only difference is the students have to state the symbol they have before anyone can get the cards.
These card games really seem to speed up the memorization process so they have a good base knowledge of symbol names going into the next phase, which is teaching them how those symbols relate to a story.

MindWing's Card Deck - (Item No 04 050)

2)  Dice Game:  I downloaded an app on my iPad called Make Dice Lite where you can create your own dice and the students can press a button or shake the iPad to roll them.  I made some dice with a story grammar element on each side.  Each player takes a turn rolling the dice and then uses their student SGM tool/braid to point to the corresponding symbol.  I then just give the student a bingo chip if they get it right.

  

3) "Show Me":  This is a super simple activity where all you need are the student braids.  Each student has a braid and I simply say "Show me the Setting" and the students scramble to point to the Setting symbol.  The student who identifies the correct symbol first, gets a bingo chip.  



Does anyone use any other activities to help with symbol memorization??  I would love to hear about them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment